All the News about Cochran and Bleckley County, Georgia
The City of Cochran, Bleckley County, Cochran-Bleckley Chamber of Commerce and Cochran-Bleckley Industrial Development Authority welcome those who wish to establish their businesses, homes, and families in this exceptional area!
Stay on top of the latest developments in Cochran-Bleckley County. Bookmark this page and return often for the latest press releases, newsletters and more.
IRS Tax Tip – December 3, 2018
In part one of a weeklong series of tips, the Summit partners warn people shopping online or in public places to remember a few basic tips that can go a long way to protecting their identity and personal information.
Cybercriminals want to turn stolen data into quick cash. They do this by draining financial accounts, charging credit cards, creating new credit accounts or even using stolen identities to file a fraudulent tax return for a refund.
Here are seven steps taxpayers can follow to help protect their accounts and their money:
- Avoid unprotected Wi-Fi. Unprotected public Wi-Fi hotspots may allow thieves to view transactions.
- Shop at familiar online retailers. Generally, sites using the “s” designation in “https” at the start of the URL are secure. User can also look for the “lock” icon in the browser’s URL bar. That said, some thieves can get a security certificate, so the “s” may not always vouch for the site’s legitimacy. Beware of purchases at unfamiliar sites or clicks on links from pop-up ads.
- Learn to recognize and avoid phishing emails. Thieves send these emails, posing as a trusted source, such a financial institution. or the IRS. The criminal’s goal is to entice users to open a link or attachment. The link may take users to a fake website that will steal usernames and passwords. An attachment may download malware that tracks keystrokes.
- Keep a clean machine. This applies to computers, phones and tablets. Taxpayers should use security software to protect against malware that may steal data and viruses that may damage files.
- Use passwords that are strong, long and unique. Experts suggest a minimum of 10 characters but longer is better. People should also avoid using a specific word in the password. They should also use a combination of letters, numbers and special characters.
- Use multi-factor authentication when available. This means users may need a security code, usually sent as a text from a financial institution or email provider to a mobile phone. People use this code in addition to usernames and passwords.
- Encrypt and password-protect sensitive data. If keeping financial records, tax returns or any personally identifiable information on computers, this data should be encrypted and protected by a strong password.
The IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry are committed to working together to fight against tax-related identity theft and to protect taxpayers. With the steps listed above, people can take steps to protect themselves online.
Taxpayers can visit the “National Tax Security Awareness Week 2018” IRS.gov webpage to get more information.
Brighten your holiday with a trip to Tom Sawyer Farms.
The University will be hosting several events open to the public.
The Cochran-Bleckley Industrial Development Authority’s new website is officially live. Businesses, current and potential residents and visitors can now find information about economic development, Chamber of Commerce, quality of life and tourism online in one convenient location. The website was designed by award-winning marketing company, 365 Degree Total Marketing. The vibrant, yet elegant design reflects the southern hospitality and charm the community exhibits as well as its progressive positioning for the future. The content includes detailed information that will appeal to relocating, expanding and existing industries including an area labor profile, taxes and incentives, infrastructure and more; quality of life for new and potential residents; and visitor information.
The website is search engine optimized (SEO) and mobile friendly, and we anticipate more than 10,000 viewers this year.
Visit the website at: http://www.cochran-bleckley.com/.
The Cochran-Bleckley Industrial Development Authority exists to promote the economic development and diversification of the county’s employment and tax base by offering attractive incentives to manufacturing and processing companies to remain and expand, or relocate, to Bleckley County, Georgia.
Back to the BASICS 101 Grand Opening & Ribbon Cutting
Country Fest Partners with Wheel'n for Tots
Meet the Candidates Forum for GA House District 144
http://cms.365degreetotalmarketing.com/temporary_uploads/282329/Press Release - Back to the Basics 101- FINAL.PNGBack to the BASICS 101
Middle Georgia State University
http://cms.365degreetotalmarketing.com/temporary_uploads/282329/First Year Press Release - Nicole Ward - 8-21-17.pdfNicole Ward
http://cms.365degreetotalmarketing.com/temporary_uploads/282329/Spring 2017 Georgia Academy for Economic Development - 5-17-17.pdf
GA Academy for Economic Development
WOW Cargo Trailers
http://cms.365degreetotalmarketing.com/temporary_uploads/282329/Walker III - GDOT Awards 10-18-16.pdfGDOT Awards